Many older men with low testosterone levels report improvement in energy levels, sexual desire and mood after testosterone replacement therapy. If the level of testosterone is low, why not replenish it?
It’s not that simple. A low level of testosterone itself does not require treatment. Testosterone replacement therapy may have side effects, and its long-term risks and benefits are not known. Only men who have symptoms of low testosterone levels may consider substitution treatment. Medical consultation is the only way to find out if this treatment is beneficial or not.
Low testosterone: subtle symptoms
Symptoms of low testosterone levels are sometimes obvious but may be subtle. The testosterone level drops naturally in men as they age and the symptoms may appear gradually.
If a man has low testosterone symptoms and tests show low levels of testosterone, the doctor may suggest a treatment. For millions of men who have low testosterone levels but have no symptoms, treatment is not currently recommended.
Benefits of substitution therapy:
What can be the effects of testosterone therapy? It’s impossible to predict, because every man is different. Many men report an improvement in the level of energy, sexual desire and the quality of erections. Testosterone also improves bone mass, muscle mass and helps weight loss and insulin sensitivity in some men. Men also report an improvement in mood after substitution treatment. If these effects are barely visible or very obvious, it depends only on the individuality of each patient.
- Anemia: Approximately 54% of men with anemia have experienced significant increases in red blood cell levels after one year of treatment based on testosterone
- Bone health: After the treatment period, participants showed significantly higher bone density, both in terms of mineral levels and estimated bone resistance. The results were more significant in the spine.
- Cardiovascular Health: Studies have found that plaque volume has increased significantly among testosterone-treated men as compared to the test group
- Mental Health: After one year of testosterone treatment, the researchers did not notice improvements in visual memory, language articulation and problem solving abilities.
- Also there are possibilities of low testosterone and depression risk. But these are temporal.