If you have dentures it is important to keep them clean and in good condition. Even though you know you should keep a regular cleaning routine you may be unsure about how to keep your dentures at their best. We are here to help and have tips on how to look after your dentures properly.
How to Look After Your Dentures
Many may think that there is less cleaning involved when you have missing teeth and use dentures, but this is not the case. It is very important to look after dentures well like you would your own teeth as clean dentures will keep your mouth healthy and comfortable. The main ways to keep your dentures in top condition are:
- Keeping dentures clean – Many believe that dentures do not need to be brushed. This is simply not true. You need to clean your dentures twice a day as you would with natural teeth to get rid of bacteria and leftover food. Dentures are vulnerable to bacteria buildup and plaque. If you do not clean your dentures and bacteria builds up it can cause problems with the denture or any remaining teeth. Leftover food can also cause many problems with your oral health.
To clean your dentures rinse under warm water after meals, this will remove any leftover food. Do not use very hot or boiling water as it can cause the denture to warp. Brush your denture twice a day with a soft brush or denture brush. Brush with warm water and soap or denture paste. Do not use toothpaste as it can scratch the dentures. After cleaning rinse thoroughly in warm water before you wear them again.
- Ensure you see a dentist – You need to attend regular dental appointments as you would with your natural teeth. Your dentist can check your denture to see if it still fits correctly. A dentist can also check for any sores that are caused by the denture. With regular dental visits, you can maintain your denture, so it lasts longer, and you can normally eat and talk.
- Be careful with your dentures – Your dentures can break so you should handle them with care. When you take the denture out try to do it over a towel or bowl of water in case you drop them. Dropping the dentures on hard surface can break the teeth or any clasps.
What Should You Do If Your Denture Breaks?
Dentures can break, there can be a variety of reasons for this such as the dentures being dropped or just because they are weakened over time. Dentures can be repaired quickly so it is generally a small inconvenience. If your denture does break we advise the following:
- See a dentist as soon as possible. The faster a break is fixed the easier and cheaper it will be to fix. No further damage will be caused if you see a dentist quickly.
- Try to save any broken parts. If you break your denture it is beneficial to have the broken off piece. The piece can be reattached. However, dentures can be fixed without the pieces too.
- The most important thing is to take your denture to a professional! Your dentures should only be fixed by a trained professional as these are customized to you and need to be fixed carefully.
Looking after your dentures properly will ensure they stay in working order and last longer.